Real estate agents, Daniel and Julie Desrochers, say that there are certain things that are important to highlight when selling your home in order to attract buyers.
New Exterior Items/Maintenance Free Items
- New Windows, roof, siding etc.
- Buyers appreciate the energy efficiency of new windows and affect it has on their energy bills.
- These items can be big ticket items to replace and it’s a great feature for a buyer to know they do not have to worry about replacing any of those items.
- Maintenance free decks or patios are a nice feature you want to highlight
- Buyers like that they will not have added expense and time of having to stain or paint a deck every few years.
- You want to point out all the amenities you are close to like Parks, walking paths, restaurants, and stores
- Are you near or easy accessibility to freeways, this is a good feature especially for commuting to work.
- Are you in a desirable school district? Super important to buyers with kids.
- Great views. Do you overlook a pond or a lake, do you have great sunsets, overlook a private wooded area? All things you want to point out.
- Buyers love hardwood floors
- Big expense to install hardwood floors so great if they are already there.
- If they are hidden under carpet you want to make sure they are pointed out
Floor Plan Features
- Open floor plan
- Buyers are drawn to floor plans that are open and airy
- Buyers want a nice open kitchen/living/dining room area for day to day function for family and entertaining.
- 3 or 4 bedrooms on one level
- This is important to a lot of buyers with children. They don’t want their kids sleeping on a different level.
- Separate Mudroom
- Has become very popular among buyers
- An important feature for families
- Homeowners want a place to throw all of their families, jackets, shoes and bags that is out of site from the rest of the home.
- Walk in Closets in Master bedroom
- A lot of buyers expect a walk-in closet in their master bedroom
- Added bonus if the secondary rooms in the house have walk-in closets
- If you don’t have any walk-in closets, update a reach in closet with an organization system.
Oversized garage and garage finishes
- Larger garages are important to a lot of buyers.
- Garages aren’t only for storing cars anymore, homeowners store things like lawnmowers, tools, bicycles, patio furniture in the winter and excess items they don’t have room for in the house.
- Is the garage, heated, are their floor drains, epoxied floor? All things you want to point out.