If you had a sore tooth, what’s the first thing you would do? Would you put an aspirin on your gums? The answer is probably not, but this is something that someone has certainly tried before. And it’s why Dr. Scott Shamblott from Shamblott Family Dentistry stopped by our studio to stomp out more dental myths.
1. MYTH: Putting an aspirin beside a sore tooth will help to ease the pain.
FACT: Aspirin is actually an acid, and should be swallowed to actually do any pain relief. When placed beside a tooth, the aspirin will burn the soft gum tissues around the tooth, and cause further problems. For pain relief, Tylenol or Ibuprofen (Motrin) are recommended over aspirin, as aspirin may cause stomach upset, and encourage prolonged bleeding in higher dosages.
2. MYTH: Charcoal toothpaste is great for whitening teeth
FACT: It’s been a big trend. You see a lot of patients coming into the office and asking about it and wondering if and how it works. You might use it to get rid of some surface stains on the teeth from something like coffee. Initially, it might help. But, as our experiments have demonstrated, there’ll be a cost.” The cost is pronounced wear of tooth enamel under the harsh scrubbing of the gritty charcoal. Lab testing showed significant loss of enamel and watched as the toothpaste made its way into the dentin of the teeth used in the experiment, leaving them with a gray to a yellow shade. Permanently. The continuous use of charcoal toothpaste caused the very discoloration that most people hope to ward off when they first start using it, Compared to more traditional whitening methods like strips or regular whitening toothpaste, the charcoal seemed to be a bit of a risk “There are other tooth-whitening options that could be safer and more effective The researchers further noted that the use of charcoal to whiten teeth isn’t a new practice. it was one of many methods that patricians in ancient Rome used to clean their teeth.
3. MYTH: if part of my tooth breaks, I can super glue it back together.
FACT: Super glue is bad for your teeth and the nerve. Putting super glue on your tooth will almost guarantee that you need a root canal to fix your tooth. You will also probably get it all over your gums and that will cause big sores.
4. MYTH: if I do oil pulling, I do not need to brush and floss my teeth
FACT: Oil pulling, is an ancient dental technique that involves swishing a tablespoon of oil in your mouth on an empty stomach for around 20 minutes. This action supposedly draws out toxins in your body, primarily to improve oral health but also to improve your overall health. There are some anti-bacterial effects of oil pulling, so as an adjunct it is ok. Oil pulling is NOT a substitute for twice daily brushing and flossing. It will not make tooth decay or cavities go away. People that rely on oil pulling for their basic homecare are in for a big surprise when they visit their dentist.
5. MYTH: I brush a lot, so I don’t need to floss.
FACT: If only that were true! Brushing cleans only 60% of the tooth, and flossing the remainder 40%. This 40% is where most dental problems start! Bacteria left untouched in these areas turns to plaque, and will eventually cause decay and gum disease.