Monica Irwin is the creator of “Veggie Buds Club” and she’s a pro at helping kids wolf down all those good things that grow in the garden
This month she’s focused on beans. She stopped by to make vegetarian baked beans you can pair pulled pork sandwich, which is a perfect Monday night meal.
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 Tablespoons ketchup
- 4 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- Salt, to taste
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces) navy beans, drained and rinsed
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a large oven-safe pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, onion, and bell pepper and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the molasses, brown sugar, ketchup, yellow mustard, vegetable broth/water, and salt; whisk together and bring to a simmer.
- Add the beans, stir to combine and bring back to a simmer.
- Transfer the pot into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until thicker and bubbly.
- Allow to cool a bit, this will allow the bean mixture to thicken up.