The King of BBQ, Stu Glock, stopped by with a Vietnamese caramel pork tenderloin recipe and information on Gertens Greenhouses “Farm To Table” event.
Farm To Table Big Green Egg BBQ
10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
5500 Blaine Ave
Inver Grove Heights, MN 55076
Vietnamese Caramel Pork Tenderloin
2 pounds Pork Tenderloin
Big Green Egg Sweet and Smoky Seasoning
Big Green Savory Pecan Seasoning
1 cup Brown sugar
2 Tbsp water
1 cup coconut water
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp fish sauce
¼ tbsp. white pepper
- Prepare Big Green Egg Grill to cook direct and indirect using the Big Green Egg Eggspander, 1—Half Moon Baking Stone and 2 Half Moon Stainless Grids. Adjust draft doors for 650-700 degree heat on direct side.
- Rub pork tenderloin with BGE Sweet and Smoky, and Savory Pecan seasoning on all sides.
- Place pork tenderloin on direct heat and sear for 1 minute and turn 90 degrees. Sear an additional 1 minute. Flip and repeat for the other side. Time of sear can be adjusted for desired char level.
- Move pork tenderloin to indirect heat, adjust draft door and damper to lower heat, and finish to an internal temperature of 135-140 degrees.
- Remove half-moon stainless grids and half-moon baking stone from the grill using a Big Green Egg Eggmitt. Leaving the conveggtor basket in Big Green Egg, put in oiled BGE carbon steel wok.
- Place brown sugar and 2 tablespoon water in wok Cook for 4-5 minutes or until sugar dissolves, starts bubbling and dark caramel forms.
- Stir in coconut water, garlic, fish sauce and white pepper. Bring to a boil. Simmer until mixture starts to bubble and thicken.
- Stir in pork tenderloin cubes and bring to a simmer. Simmer and stir to coat until caramel sauce has thickened to syrupy consistency and pork is hot through and caramelized.
- Remove from grill and top with Pickled Carrot and Herb Salad below.
Pickled Carrot and Herb Salad
1 carrot, peeled, cut into long thin strips
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
1 long fresh red chili, thinly sliced
- For the pickled carrot salad, combine the carrot, rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a bowl. Set aside, stirring occasionally, for at least 20 minutes to develop the flavors.
Drain the carrot and discard the pickling liquid. Return to the bowl and toss with the coriander, mint and chili. Divide pork among serving bowls. Top with the pickled carrot and herb salad. Serve with steamed rice.