Swedish Crown Bakery owner, Eva Sabet shares a tasty Swedish dessert that are easy to make at home and you’ll want to eat more than just one.
75g butter salted ( 2.65 oz or 0.33 cup)
200g organic or grassfed milk (6.75 oz or 0.85 cup)
25g yeast (1 oz)
100g cane sugar (3.5oz or 0.5 cup)
1 organic egg
¼ tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
450 g unbleached flour (16 oz or 2 cups)
Ingredients for Filling:
400 g marzipan or almond paste (1 tube 7oz)
1 tsp almond extract (optional)
¼ cups to ½ cup warm milk or warm water
16 oz organic cream
How to make it:
1. Warm milk and pour into a mixing bowl and add butter, sugar, salt, cardamom egg and most of the flour.
2. Hold off on half a cup of flour until mixed to see if flour is needed.
3. If the dough is sticky after 2 minutes mixing, then add remaining flour slowly until dough is not sticking any longer to the side of the bowl.
4. Dough should be soft and shiny.
5. Mix for about 10-12 min on medium/low.
6. Cover dough and let it rest in a warm place until almost double in size.
7. Turn oven to 425 °F
8. When dough is proofed, take it out of the bowl onto a clean surface and knead it lightly with your hands and then divide dough into 15 balls or 50g balls/each. Roll each ball until nice and round in shape.
9. Put rolls on a baking tray, lined with parchment paper. Cover rolls and let them rest for 30-40 min or until doubled in size.
10. When ready place in the middle of warm oven and bake for approximately 10 min or until nice golden brown color.
11. Be careful not to under bake or they will be doughy on the inside.
12. When ready take them out and let them cool.
Prepare the filling:
1. Shred the marzipan on a shredder then put in a mixing bowl.
2. Heat up milk or water in a pot.
3. Start mixing marzipan with a petal and add the warm milk slowly to avoid splashing.
4. Optional, if more almond flavor is preferred add extract and mix filling until nice and smooth.
5. Whip cream until medium thick. Be careful not to over whip or it will get buttery.
6. Put in cooler while filling the Semla buns.
1. When buns are cooled down, cut the top of, snip a piece of the inside out to create a little crate for the filling.
2. Distribute marzipan filling evenly between buns with an ice cream scooper or with 2 spoons.
3. Fill cream into a piping bag and pipe onto the marzipan filled buns.
4. Or spoon cream onto buns with a big spoon or spatula.
5. Put hats back on cream filled bun.
6. dust powdered sugar on top of Semla “hats”.
7. Enjoy immediately or put it in a bowl of warm milk and enjoy!