Katy Gerdes, owner of Angel Food Bakery in Minneapolis stopped by with a St. Patrick’s Day themed green velvet cupcake recipe.
Green Velvet Cake (Aprox 3 dozen cupcakes)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 3/4 cups cake flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (not Dutch process)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups canola oil
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
6 tablespoons (3 ounces) green food coloring
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar.
1. Oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk cake flour, cocoa and salt in a bowl.
3. Place oil and sugar in bowl of an electric mixer and beat at medium speed until well-blended. Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix food color, vanilla & buttermilk together. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk in two batches. Scrape down bowl and beat just long enough to combine.
4. Place baking soda in a small dish, stir in vinegar and add to batter with machine running. Beat for 10 seconds.
5. Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 of the way, and the baking aprox 20 to 25 minutes (until tops spring back with gently touched).
6. Cool and decorate with favorite style of frosting
Visit Katy at Angel Food Bakery located in Minneapolis! Click here for her website.