The Twin Home Opener for the Twins is 10 days away. Rather than indulging in burgers and hotdogs, you might want to think about getting a salad instead. Teenagers from around the area are learning culinary skills from local chefs to help create a healthy salad that will be sold at Target Field.
It’s all because of a company called, Roots for the Home Team, which was created by entrepreneurial dietitian Sue Moores and its sprouting many possibilities to budding chefs. Chef Ann Ahmed is the owner behind an extremely popular golden valley restaurant, Lat 14. She partnered with Roots for the Home Team and stopped by to share her experience working with these talented young chefs.
Marquise Tatum and Afredo Alvinardo shared how to make an MTV Salad that will be sold at Target Field.
MTV (Mexico to Vietnam) Salad
Yield 8 1-cup servings
3/4 cup brown rice, uncooked
1/2 cup hominy, uncooked
1 cup carrots, shredded
1 cup jicama, peeled and chopped
1 cup bell pepper, chopped
1 cup of Napa or savoy cabbage, shredded
1 cup of tomatoes, diced
½ cup mint, whole leaves, picked, torn
½ cup scallions, chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp, 1 tsp. honey
1 tsp chipotle seasoning
1 tsp garlic, minced
½ cup chopped cilantro
1 cup Tajin cashews (see recipe below)
1. In separate sauce pans, cook brown rice and hominy according to package directions.
Drain and cool.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine carrots, jicama, pepper, cabbage tomatoes, mint and
scallion. Add rice and hominy.
3. To make the dressing, blend in a food processor or blender mayonnaise, lemon juice,
peanut butter, fish sauce, honey chipotle seasoning and garlic. Blend until smooth.
4. Stir half of the dressing into the salad mixture; toss to coat well. Spoon salad onto mixed
greens; drizzle with remaining dressing and garnish with cashews and cilantro.
1 cup whole roasted cashews
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp Tajin seasoning
1. Heat a non-stick skillet. Over medium heat add cashews, sugar and butter.
2. Heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently so the mixture doesn’t burn. As sugar starts
melting, stir constantly until all sugar is melted and nuts are coated. Sprinkle with Tajin
3. Transfer nuts onto parchment paper and separate. Allow to dry before topping salad.