Terry John Zila always adds spice to Twin Cities Live. This time, he’s cooking with it!
Basil Lime Fruit Salad
¼ cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon lime zest
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
2 cups seedless watermelon, cut into ½-inch cubes
2 cups cantaloupe, cut into ½-inch cubes
2 cups strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
1 cup blackberries
1 cup blueberries
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
½ cup basil, julienned
- Whisk together lime juice, olive oil, lime zest and jalapeños and set aside.
- Place the prepared fruit in a large bowl. Pour lime juice mixture over fruit and gently toss to combine. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, place the fruit mixture on a large platter and scatter the sesame seeds and julienned basil over the salad and serve.
Black Bean and Corn Salad
2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups corn kernels fresh, frozen or canned
1/4 cup red onion minced
1 red bell pepper diced
1 avocado peeled, pit removed and diced
1 jalapeno ribs and seeds removed, then minced
1/3 cup cilantro leaves chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lime juice
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Place the black beans, corn, red onion, red bell pepper, avocado and jalapeno in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, honey, chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the beans and vegetables and toss gently to coat.
Jalapeño Creamed Corn Cornbread
2 ounces unsalted butter (to grease baking pan)
4 ounces unsalted butter, melted
1 cup yellow corn meal
¾ cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup creamed corn
1 cup buttermilk
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
2 large eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Grease a 9-inch square pan, a 10-inch round pan or a 10-inch cast iron skillet with 2 ounces of the unsalted butter. Place prepared pan in preheated oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar baking powder and salt.
- In another mixing bowl. Whisk together the creamed corn, buttermilk, minced jalapeño, beaten eggs and the 4 ounces melted butter. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened and the batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into preheated, hot pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until bread is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.