We want you to start your week off strong with a simple dinner idea that’s easy to make and will impress your family. That’s why we started a new series on Twin Cities Live at Four called, “Monday Night Meal.” Recipe Developer, Mary Jane Miller shared how to make a simple and healthy recipe, called Quinoa Fried Rice with chicken.
Check out Mary Jane Miller’s Facebook Page
Quinoa Fried Rice
Makes 4 servings
1 cup quinoa
2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped OR 1/2 cup chopped garlic scapes
1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 cup sugar snap peas, trimmed
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. oyster sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 eggs, beaten
2 green onions, chopped
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook quinoa in chicken broth as package directs; fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add garlic (or scapes) and ginger and stir fry for a few seconds. Add carrots and cook about 2 minutes. Add pea pods and cook another 2 minutes or until vegetables are tender crisp.
- Add quinoa and chicken. Drizzle soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil over all and toss to mix well. Push the mixture off to the side of the skillet and pour eggs onto the empty space and cook stirring to scramble.
- Stir the scrambled eggs into the rest of the mixture. Add green onions and cilantro and toss to combine.
- I like to use leftover quinoa and roast chicken to make this.
- Use any protein you like, shrimp is great.
- Leave out the meat and it makes a great side dish