Family Nurse Practitioner from Entira Family Clinics, Natalie Carstenbrock talks about some of the myths surrounding cold and flu season.
- What is the difference between a cold and the flu?
Cold and flu symptoms are very similar, however there is a test that we can perform to identify influenza.
- Mild symptoms like runny or stuffy nose
- Sudden Onset
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Some may have vomiting or diarrhea, however more common in children
- What are people’s options for vaccinating?
Trivalent (Covers 3 strains of the influenza virus A,A,&B) or Quadrivalent
High dose: Over the age of 65 and who have chronic health condition such as heart disease or diabetes.
Can you get the mist? No longer available due to concerns about its effectiveness
- Are there any home remedies that you recommend to your patients dealing with winter colds?
Steam, humidification, diffusing essential oils, staying hydrated, tea and honey, vitamin C
- Are there healthy foods that people should eat to build up a strong immune system?
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Vitamin C
- Well balanced diet including all food groups
- What is the best way to protect yourself and others from cold or flu?
The virus can be on objects such as a door handle, so perform good hand washing and cover your cough and sneezes.