Ryan McEnaney from Woodbury-based Bailey Nurseries introduces us to five shrubs that thrive in Minnesota, including one that literally is a four-season plant.
- Pink Sparkler Spirea
- Pink flowers in early summer and again in the fall
- Need almost no pruning or special care
- Leaves turn a stunning burgundy color in the fall
- Little Devil Ninebark
- Dark leaves accented by purple-white flowers in June
- Stays compact throughout the year
- Great as a backdrop to low-growing colorful annuals or in front of your house
- Needs very little, if any, pruning to keep its shape
- Firedance Dogwood
- Clean, green foliage throughout spring and summer
- Accented by white flowers in spring, followed by white berries that birds love
- Leaves turn red-purple in fall, gives way to bright red stems in winter
- Little care required
- Shining Sensation and Rainbow Sensation Weigela
- Both have beautiful pink flowers in late spring
- Great for small space gardens
- Tiger Eyes Sumac
- Perfect if you want to add color without much work
- Leaves are chartreuse in summer; turn yellow, orange and scarlet in fall
- Great in a container
Note: when putting shrubs in a container garden, make sure to put only one in a container.
These shrubs by First Editions Plants are grown by Bailey Nurseries and distributed to garden centers across the metro. Find a participating retailer near you by clicking here.