Here’s a great recipe to impress your friends at your next dinner party! Panna Cotta is an Italian dessert and it translates to “cooked cream.” There are many ways to make it and it’s very easy. You can also stop by Swedish Crown Bakery in Anoka to buy some from their store!
22 oz or 2 3/4 cups heavy organic cream
4.25 oz or 1/2 cup milk
2.65 oz or 1/3 cup sugar
3 gelatin leaf sheet or 1 T powdered gelatin + 2 T water
2 T vanilla extract
If adding fruit puree switch out 1/2 cup cream.
2.5 oz or 1/3 cup fruit puree of choice, mango, raspberry, strawberry
2.5 oz water or 1/3 cup
2.5 T sugar
1 leaf sheet gelatin or 1 tsp powdered gelatin
If using powdered gelatin:
- In a very small saucepan sprinkle gelatin over water and let stand about 1 minute to soften. Heat gelatin mixture over low heat until gelatin is dissolved and remove pan from heat.
- In a large saucepan or medium sized pot bring cream, milk, and sugar just to a boil over moderately high heat, stirring until it starts simmering. Be careful it will easily boil over.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in gelatin mixture or gelatin leaf sheets and vanilla, stirring until completely dissolved. Now is the time to add any flavoring of your choice, while mixture is piping hot. Let it cool for an hour and if using fruit puree, add it now.
- Cover pot and it let cool to room temp.
- Divide cream mixture among six to eight 1/2-cup ramekins and cool to room temperature. Chill ramekins, covered, at least 4 hours or overnight.
In a small pan bring fruit puree, water and sugar and gelatin to boil and simmer for 5 min on medium heat. Let it cool for 15 min and then let it cool for another 15 min or until cool. Make sure the gelee does not firm up and is still runny. When cooled down pour desired amount over firmed up pannacotta. Double recipe for more gelee.
Decorate to your liking with fruits and flower!