If you make this dish for dinner this week, it’s going to make your kitchen smell amazing. CEO & Executive Chef, Chelles’ Kitchen LLC & The Healthy Roots Institute, Chef Lachelle Cunningham of Chelle’s Kitchen stopped by to make African Autumn Sunflower Curry.
Chelles’ Kitchen offers Full Service Customized Catering & Personal Chef Services. The Healthy Roots Institute offers Cooking Classes & Workshops for groups, Professional Culinary Education, Food Business Education & Consulting.
African Autumn Sunflower Curry
By Chef Lachelle Cunningham
3 tbsp canola oil
1 whole chicken, cut into 8-10 pieces (optional)
3 tbsp curry powder
3 tbsp Berbere spice
2 tsp kosher salt
2 medium yams, peeled and chopped
4 medium carrots, peeled chopped
1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
1 medium head broccoli, cut into florets
8 oz . sliced baby Bella mushrooms
1 onion, sliced
1 green or poblano pepper, sliced
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp ginger, minced
2-4 Bay leaves
1 cup organic sunflower seed butter
1 can fired roasted tomatoes
2 cup vegetable or chicken stock
2 cups coconut milk
2 tablespoon Island hot sauce
2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
Green onions, sliced for garnish
Salt & Pepper to taste
Cooked brown rice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Massage 1 tbsp canola oil, 1 tbsp curry powder, 1 tbsp Berbere spice, 2 tsp of salt all over the chicken.
- Place on the seasoned chicken on a baking sheet and roast in the oven until chicken reaches internal temp of 165.
- While chicken is roasting, toss the yams, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli and mushrooms with 1 tbsp canola oil, 1 tbsp curry powder, 1 tbsp Berbere spice and 2 tsp salt. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and roast in the oven until vegetables are tender yet still firm.
- Separately toss onions, green or poblano pepper and garlic in 2 tsp canola oil and sprinkle with salt. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and roast in the oven until onions and garlic are soft and caramelized.
- In a large roasting pan, stir together the ginger, bay leaves remaining curry powder & Berbere spice, sunflower seed butter, fire roasted tomatoes, stock, coconut milk and island hot sauce.
- Add all of the roasted vegetables and chicken and mix together until well combined. Roast in the oven until vegetables are soft, sauce thickens, and chicken begins to fall apart (don’t overcook).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over brown rice, garnished with toasted sunflower seeds & green onions