Twin Cities Live’s Local Guy About Town, Mike Marcotte, asked for your picks for the best place to get fried fish. He took your suggestions, gave them a try and presents the top five.
1. The Anchor Fish & Chips, Northeast Minneapolis
- 90% of what Anchor sells is fish and chips.
- They go through 2500 pounds of potatoes every week.
- They do not take reservations and wait times on Friday and Saturday nights can exceed 2 hours. Go on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Sunday to avoid waiting.
- Fridays during Lent, Anchor’s food truck is in their parking lot serving up fish and chips for walk-up orders.
- Check out their brunch served Saturdays and Sundays.
2. Trophy House, New Trier
- New Trier is just a short drive down Highway 52, not far from Rosemount.
- Trophy House serves an all-you-can-eat fish fry every Friday night, year-round. It is served with salad or coleslaw, choice of potato and garlic toast and will only set you back $14.99.
- Like Anchor, they also use cod filets.
- They will go through 300 pounds of fish on a Friday night.
3. Tavern on Grand, Saint Paul
- Tavern on Grand, located on Grand Avenue, is the place for walleye.
- The woman-owned and operated restaurant goes through nearly 17 tons of fish a year. It is wild caught Canadian walleye (commerical walleye catching is illegal in Minnesota).
- Walleye is a good fish for people who don’t like fish. It tastes more like chicken!
- Try their Surly beer battered walleye and pair it with a pint of Surly beer. The Walleye Sampler is also highly recommended.
4. Obb’s Sports Bar & Grill, Saint Paul
- Obb’s, located right off of I-94 and Highway 61, originally opened in 1919 as a grocery and feed store. The family who started it had the opportunity to repurchase it in 2001.
- Their pollock all-you-can-eat fish fry is every Friday night and costs only $14.45.
- During Lent, they will go through 600 pounds of fish every Friday night.
- Expect to wait 60-90 minutes if you want a table on a Friday night during Lent. And if you have a group larger than eight, make sure you call ahead.
- They also have a fantastic fish hoagie on their menu 7 days a week. The fish dinner is also available all week.
5. Minneapolis/Richfield American Legion Post 435, Richfield
- All are welcome inside the Richfield American Legion, located right off of Portland Avenue.
- For $10.99, you can enjoy all-you-can-eat fried pollock, along with sides. Kids eat for just $6.99. Dinner service begins at 4:00 pm and the fish fry is held year-round.
- The Richfield American Legion offers music 7 nights a week.