TCL Cooking Contest Winner, Patty Morrissey, shared a tasty fish filet sandwich recipe.
Fish Filet Sandwiches
- Fish filets – cod, halibut, salmon or other firm fish. Ideal size is about ¾ – 1 inch thick, cut to a square the size of your bun.
- 2 cups Salt and Vinegar flavored potato chips, crushed
- 1 ½ cups Liquid egg whites
- Buns – hamburger bun, sesame-topped, brioche or other preferred bun
- Lettuce leaves
- Pickled onions – optional topping
- Lemon Caper Aioli
Pre-heat oven to 425°. Place a small rack on top of a baking sheet with edges. Spray the rack with cooking spray. Your fish should be fresh or thawed if frozen. Dry off the surface with paper towel. Set up a bowl of egg whites and another of crushed salt and vinegar potato chips. Dip the fish in the egg whites to coat all sides, and then in the potato chips, again to coat all sides. You may have to press some of the chip crumbs into the flesh to help it stick. Place the fish filets on the rack. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 145° internal filet temperature. While the fish is cooking, brush melted butter on the buns and toast the internal surfaces of cut buns on a hot flat pan. (Alternatively, you can grill the fish on the grill with a grill pan, and toast the buns on the grill.) Place lettuce on bottom bun, then fish, then onions if used, and then a generous dollop of Lemon Caper Aioli, followed by bun top.
Lemon Caper Aioli
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons dill weed if dry, 2 tablespoons snipped if fresh
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Mix all ingredients, allow at least 30 minutes chill time in refrigerator.
Creamy Cabbage/Apple Coleslaw
- ½ head of green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped small (soak in ice water for 30 minutes first)
- 1 small granny smith apple, cored and julienned into strips
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Place all chopped vegetables and apple in a bowl. Mix rest of dressing ingredients and pour over vegetables. Cover and chill for an hour in the refrigerator to blend flavors.