Fitness coaches Rachel Marthaler and Amber Kuiper teamed up with the Minnesota Beef Council to get your 2018 off to a healthy start! Check out their favorite recipes and exercises.
For more meal ideas using beef, head here.
To join the Minnesota Beef Council’s Beef Bootcamp, find registration information here.
Hamburger Sweet Potato Hash
Adapted from Team Beachbody
2 t. Olive Oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped
1 lb of lean ground beef
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
½ t. ground thyme
sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Heat Oil in medium skillet over medium heat
- Add onion, pepper and sweet potatoes. Cook, stirring frequently for 8-10 minutes, or until onion is translucent and sweet potato is tender crisp.
- Add ground beef; cook, stirring frequently, for 5-6 minutes or until beef is cooked thouroughly and sweet potato is soft.
- Add garlic and thyme. Season with sea salt and pepper as desired.
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Taco Meat
Adapted from Gimme Some Oven
• 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
• 2-3 pounds beef boneless chuck roast
• 3 tsp. chili powder
• 1 tsp. cumin
• 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
• 1 cup beef stock
• 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
• 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
• 1 small white onion, diced
• 5 cloves garlic, minced
Whisk together the chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika in a small bowl. Rub the spice mix into the beef, covering each side evenly.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully place the beef in the skillet and sear on each side until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the beef from the skillet and place in the bottom of a slow cooker.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and diced onion to the sauté pan. Sauté for an additional 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the beef stock and stir the pan to deglaze it, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add tomato paste and minced chipotle, and whisk into the pan sauce until combined. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for a 3-5 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened slightly. Pour the pan sauce down over the beef in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, until the beef shreds easily.
Shred the beef with two forks, and toss to coat with any of the remaining juices. Serve the beef in corn/ wheat flour tortilla or on Mexican rice for burrito bowl. Top with your favorite taco toppings.