Chances are you rarely use the words “nutritious” and “pizza” in the same sentence but Lachelle Cunningham who owns Chelles’ Kitchen says the two can coexist. She stopped by to make a tasty vegan pizza.
Click here for more info on Organic Transitions: Chelles’ Kitchen at L’Etoile Du Nord.
Ancient Grain Vegan Pizza
(Wine Pairing: Tinto Negro Malbec)
2/3 cup Spelt flour, fine ground
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon fennel
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup water
1. Mix dry ingredients together in a blender.
2. Add water and mix together until a smooth batter forms.
3. Using a nonstick pan, spray with a little oil and heat the pan over medium heat
4. Pour in the batter into the pan and move around to create a round crust.
5. Allow to cook over medium heat until bubbles form and batter is ? firmed up.
6. Scrape around sides with rubber spatula and and check for browning on underside.
7. When dough is mostly cooked, flip and finish cooking the other side.
8. Once pizza dough is fully cooked, remove from heat and add tomato sauce and desired pizza toppings.
Simple Garlic Herb Tomato Sauce
2 Tbsp Grapeseed or Olive Oil
2-3 Garlic Cloves, minced or thinly sliced
5-7 Tomatoes, diced
1 Tbsp Dried Italian Herbs
2 Tbsp Fresh Basil, chopped (optional)
1. Heat oil over medium heat in a nonreactive pan.
2. Add garlic and toast until lightly golden brown, be careful not to burn.
3. Add tomatoes and bring to a soft boil.
4. Add dried herbs (if desired), reduce heat to simmer and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes.
5. Add fresh basil.
6. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
Vegan Cashew Cheese
Cashew Cheese Ingredients
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours, drained, and rinsed
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ of a red bell pepper, chopped
1 garlic clove
½ teaspoon salt (more as needed)
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup water (more as needed)
Cashew Cheese Procedure
1. Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until mixture is smooth like nacho cheese.
2. For thicker cheese, add more cashews, for creamier, add a little more water.
3. Scrape the sides of the food processor down with a spatula and continue blending until you have reached the desired consistency. More blending will result in a smoother consistency. Don’t overheat your blender.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Put cheese in a bowl or a squeeze bottle for each dispensing.