The Minnesota Pork Board is serving up recipes! The man in charge of feeding students and staff at the University of St. Thomas, Ben McCullum, teaches us how to make Balsamic Pork Kebobs.
Makes 6 Servings
3 lbs Pork Loin
1 Red Onion
2 Red Bell Peppers
2 cloves Garlic
10 leaves Fresh Basil
¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
½ cup Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Black Pepper
24 6” Skewers
To make the marinade:
- Crush the garlic clove using the back of a knife and dice into small pieces.
- Chop the basil into fine dice.
- Add the garlic, basil, balsamic vinegar and olive oil into a mixing bowl and mix to thoroughly combine.
To make the kebobs:
- Clean and chop the onion into ½ inch square pieces, approximately 48 squares.
- Clean and chop the red bell pepper into ½ inch square pieces, approximately 48 squares.
- Slice the pork loin into 8 even steaks. Place the steaks flat on the cutting board and cut each steak into 6 even pieces.
- Skewer 4 pork pieces, 2 onion squares and 2 red bell pepper squares in alternating pattern down the length of each skewer. Repeat process with remaining skewers. When all are finished, season the skewers with salt and pepper.
- Place the finished skewers in a 9×13 baking pan. Pour the marinade over the skewers and rotate the skewers to ensure that all sides are covered in the marinade. Cover the pork and store in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to allow the marinade to infuse the meat.
Finishing the kebobs in the oven:
- Preheat the oven on broiler setting high.
- Remove the kebobs from the marinade and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Place the baking pan on the top shelf
- Allow the kebobs to broil for 8 minutes
- Remove from oven and turn the skewers over
- Return the baking pan to the oven and continue to cook for additional 8 minutes
- Remove from oven and let rest for 2 minutes before service
Finishing the kebobs on a grill:
- Preheat the grill on the high setting.
- Remove the kebobs from the marinade and place onto the grill
- Allow to grill for 15-18 minutes, turning the kebobs every 3-5 minutes, until all sides are grilled
- Remove from grill and let rest for 2 minutes before service