Twin Cities Live in your town is celebrating Excelsior… home to Coalition, a fabulous restaurant located on Water Street. They do a lot of things great but what really stands out are their vegetables!
Coalition’s Executive Chef and Owner, Eli Wollenzein explained why you should ditch the microwave the next time you make your veggie side dish at home is
1 qt Cauliflower
AP Flour (As needed)
2 fl oz Korean BBQ Sauce (recipe below)
½ tsp White Sesame Seeds (Toasted)
½ tsp Chives (minced)
How to make:
- Place cauliflower in simmering pasta water and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove and drain. Place in stainless steel bowl.
- Dredge in flour until fully covered and shake off excess flour.
- Place in 350 degree fryer and fry until crispy.
- Remove from fryer, drain excess oil, and place in clean bowl.
- Toss in Korean BBQ Sauce.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and chives
Korean BBQ Sauce
2 cups Sambal
3 cups Sugar
2 cups Soy Sauce
½ cup Rice Wine Vinegar
1 cup Sesame Oil
Sugar Snap Peas
2 Tbs Sesame Oil
½ tsp Ginger (minced)
½ tsp Garlic (minced)
6 oz Sugar Snap Peas (de-stringed)
1 oz Red Pepper (diced)
½ tsp Togarashi Seasoning
Salt & Pepper As needed
1 tsp Gremolata (lemon zest/parsley/garlic)
½ tsp Soy Sauce
½ tsp White Sesame Seeds (toasted)
How to make it:
1. In cold pan over medium heat, add sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and sugar snap peas. Saute until beans start to sizzle.
2. Add red pepper and togarashi seasoning. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Saute until vegetables are hot, but NOT WILTED. Add gremolata and soy sauce and toss together. Saute briefly so all soy sauce is dry.
4. Place on Plate, garnish with sesame seeds.
1 tsp Olive Oil
8 oz Carrots (cut into 1 inch pieces)
1 tsp Garam Masala Seasoning
1 Tbsp Butter (more if needed)
1 oz Dates (chopped)
Salt & Pepper (As needed)
½ tsp Honey
1 Tbsp Pistachio (toasted, chopped)
1 oz Goat Cheese
How to make it:
- Toss carrots in olive oil and garam masala seasoning. Place on baking tray and roast in 425 degree oven until a fork can be pierced through carrot. Remove from oven.
- Add butter and roasted carrots to a pan and saute over medium heat until carrots are sizzling.
- Add dates and honey and toss until glazed and hot.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place on plate and top with goat cheese and pistachio.